Friday, January 7, 2011

Chicken Breast Recipe

I have been reading my cookbooks, looking for a recipe(s) that sounds delicious and doesn't use too many strange ingredients.   I made a few things that were not all that special.  I have donated 10 cook books to the library booksale.  Maybe something in them will appeal to someone else.

This is a very tasty recipe that I made for dinner one evening this week.  

Chicken Breasts with Toasted Mustard Seed Sauce
6 skinless chicken breasts, boned
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp ground black pepper, divided
1 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (I used finely chopped white onion)
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp fresh lemon juice

Place chicken breasts on a lightly greased rack in a broiler pan.  Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Bake at 500 degrees for 15 minutes; turn oven to broil, and broil chicken 6 inches from heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned.  Transfer chicken to a large serving platter.  Set aside and keep warm.

Place mustard seeds in a small skillet; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until mustard seeds begin to pop and are lightly browned.  Removed skillet from heat.  Let mustard cool completely in skillet. 

Place whipping cream in a medium saucepan.  Bring just to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally.

Stir in reserved mustard seeds, remaining 1/4 tsp salt, remaining 1/2 tsp pepper, onions, Dijon mustard and lemon juice; cook until mixture is thoroughly heated.  Pour sauce over reserved chicken.  Serve immediately.  Yield: 6 servings.

I served this over rice, with brocolli.  Since there are only 2 of us I halved the recipe and it came out great.

Now I must post a few pictures of the cats and of the evening sky.
Nosey sitting in the bay window.  She is soooo sweet.
Our new cat Beau, very content to be 6 foot up on top of the cat condo.
Our beautiful reddish pink evening sky. 
Until next time,


1 comment:

Elisabeth said...

Dear friend.

I think I will knock on your door for dinner one evening. This sound lovely :-)

Elisabeth