Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Star Crazy BOM - January Finished

Hello and welcome.  This week our temperatures have been in the 40's so I thought I would plant garlic BUT the ground is still frozen...hard as a rock.  I am very very late at getting my garlic planted but I am going to try again next week. 

Since there is still snow on the ground I am quilting.  On Wednesdays I attend what is called Sit N Sew at Oklahoma Quiltworks, my local quilt store (local even if it is 25 miles away, ugh).  Today I finished the 8 January blocks for the Star Crazy BOM. 

I call my quilts Edison Quilts after Thomas Edison.  His quote "I've not failed.  I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" seems to always apply to my quilts.  I, like him, am learning from my mistakes.  This is what I learned today in this quilting venture.
  • Use more contrast in my fabric selection.  I bought more fabric today (good excuse, right?)
  • My blocks are a little oversized because I always sew using a scant 1/4".  For this project I have to use a true 1/4" seam allowance. 

I attempted to square up my blocks using my Quilt in a Day Square-up ruler.  I love this ruler but there was no squaring of these blocks.  You can see the slivers I cut off.  I was going to lose the tips of the stars if I cut too much so I called it good. 

Here is another Edison quote for you "Many of life's failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".  Press forward in whatever your life's passion is, success is right around the corner.

Until next time,

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I normally make my things a little larger and then square them up too but for this one I think I will need to follow the rules more :) We are sure getting quite a few people on our Star Crazy blog!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Sonia said...

I'm not a good enough seamtress to make quilts..but I sure enjoy collecting them. I love that quilters are out there preserving our Americana. Hope you are enjoying our "warmer" weather! Your quilt is so beautiful! Sonia