Monday, October 17, 2011

Komen Race for the Cure

Saturday I walked in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in downtown Oklahoma City.  This 1 mile walk/5K walk/run raises money to find a cure for breast cancer. 
The race started and ended at the Bricktown Ballpark.  Opening and closing ceremonys were held inside the park.

My friend walked with me.  I was having back spasms during the week so we walked the 1 mile fun walk.  We walked it in 18 minutes.  Not too bad for a girl taking chemo. Next year I hope to walk/jog the 5K.

Crossing the finish line before the thousands behind us.  My Mom and oldest daughter were there to cheer for us and my daughter was doing the photography. 

Survivors were given roses at the finish line.


We finished about 5 minutes before the mass of 5K walker/runners finished.  There were over 18,000 participants.

After the race they had participants that were breast cancer survivors come onto the ball field.  Here I am receiving my 2011 medal.  I will hang it on my christmas tree this year.

I was so excited to be on the ball field.  I had to step on every base.  I love baseball.  Oh, and did you hear that MY Texas Rangers are in the World Series AGAIN this year?  Ok, Ok,  I digress

The race raised over $1 million and most of that money will stay right here in Oklahoma.   

As you can tell I am feeling pretty good right now and I still have all my hair!!  My next chemo treatment is next week, October 26. 

Until next time,   

 

3 comments:

Sonia said...

You are looking wonderul..I didn't walk this year but have in years past. My mother-in-law was a breast cancer survivor. Glad you could walk!

Diane said...

I would struggle to walk a mile, I am always on my bike! You never cease to amaze me. Congratulations and you look fantastic. Hope the next treatment goes well. Take care, thinking of you as always. Diane x

Kelly said...

Been thinking of my blogger friend. Hope you are feeling good. Have a great week!
Kelly