Monday, August 3, 2009

This week in the Garden



The rain we have had in the last week has really helped the garden rebound from the 100+ temperatures we had in July.

The Purple Coneflowers are raising their heads to the sky. They are looking so pretty right now.



The variegated plant in the center above is a Tapioca Plant that I purchased from Bustani Plant Farm. I have had this plant for 2 years. It is not winter hardy so I have to bring it into the greenhouse in the winter but it is worth it. It is one of those plants that gets a lot of attention from visitors.



Oakleaf Hydrangea, Acuba, Mugo Pines and Caladiums thrive in one of the shade beds in the Cottage Garden along the Charished Path.














I love these caladiums. I bought them at Walmart as bulbs for less than $5 last spring. I stick the bulbs in the ground and they are beautiful this time of the year.







This is Tovara, a plant that loves to grow in the shade. The gray underneath the plants is shredded newspapers that I am using for mulch. In the fall I will cover the newspaper with fallen leaves. By spring I should know if using newspaper is a good idea or not.



I found this turtle in my compost bin this week. You can tell I have been throwing whole vegetables in the pile.....yes, I know they are supposed to be chopped into smaller pieces. But this guy is pretty happy with me.

Bye for now,

Kclily

No comments: